International House Mataró
Opened in 1976, IH Mataró has an excellent reputation as a language schooll in the town and surrounding area. Many current students are the sons and daughters of previous customers.
The school is about 30 km from Barcelona, about 40 minutes by train, which are very regular, and also well connected by motorway and main roads. The school is very close to both the beach and the town centre and about a 3-minute walk from the railway station.
Locate us on Google Maps
The town of Mataró
Mataró, seen from the Montnegre | Photo: Montse Sanchiz Bosch, on Pixabay
Mataró is a town with about 120,000 people and is now a commuter town mainly for people working in the Barcelona area. Very few tourists come to Mataró, although it's close to the Costa Brava, which allows it to keep a real Catalan/Spanish feel. It has some great beaches, too, within easy reach!
Wikipedia entry for Mataró
The school building
The school building has three floors:
- Ground Floor There is the entrance area, the Director's/DoS's office; a sizeable bar-cum-waiting room with toilets; and a large, modern computer/self-study room equipped with 15 computers for student use. Inside the computer room is a small inner office used for customer interviewers or admin work.
- First Floor There are 6 classrooms, the YL coordinator's/DoS's admin office and 2 teachers' resource rooms (one with the photocopier). One classroom is primarily set up for French and another has tables for one-to-ones or small groups.
- Second Floor There are 7 classrooms, a storeroom and a toilet. One classroom is primarily set up for German, 2 are entirely devoted to very young learners with primary school furniture and 1 is also set up as a one-to-one/small group room with tables.
All rooms have central heating/air conditioning, and most classrooms are equipped with interactive whiteboards.
School administration structure
Julie Byrne Director
Coral Vidiella Office Manager, Study Abroad and Customer care
Jobs at IH Mataró
Openings for English teachers
Broken down into the following sections:
- Cambridge exam classes
- 121 adults on-site
- Off-site company classes / 121s
We offer standard round-the-year courses and summer intensives:
- Kids, juniors and teens start in mid-September.
- Adults start in October and finish in June.
- Teens Cambridge FCE courses run from September to June and then have a 12/13-week add-on course of skills work (called FCE-XP) and do the exam in december. This is compulsory for teens. Adults can also opt for this type of course.
- In the summer we run normal intensives for certain levels, semi-recuperation / activity classes for lower levels, FCE intensives, 121s and off-site classes integrated into a sports club summer camp programme.
Exams offered externally:
- Cambridge YL exams Starters, Movers and Flyers.
- Cambridge KET, PET, FCE, CAE and CPE
- Translation of a variety of languages via a translators' network.