Cambridge English: First (FCE)
FCE is an exam which shows that you can use everyday written and spoken English at an upper-intermediate level. It is an ideal exam for people who want to use English for work or study purposes.
Deadline for enrolment for February: January 29
Is FCE for you?
- understand texts from a wide variety of sources?
- use English to make notes while someone is speaking in English?
- talk to people about a wide variety of topics?
- understand people talking in English on radio or television programmes?
If you are working towards acquiring those skills and your level of English currently permits you to do approximately those things, then FCE is probably the right exam for you.
What level is FCE?
FCE corresponds to Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) | more information.
At B2 level, typical users can be expected to:
- understand the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
- keep up a conversation on a fairly wide range of topics, expressing opinions and presenting arguments
- produce clear, detailed writing, expressing opinions and explaining the advantages and disadvantages of different points of view.
Your preparation for FCE will give you these kinds of practical language skills.
When and where can you take FCE?
The table below shows when and where you can take FCE at one or more of our centres:
For exact details (dates, etc), pick your exam centre from the table.
Dates 2016-17, written exams
(CB) = Computer-based | (S) = For schools
|Exam session||Written exam||Enrolment deadline||Price|
|February 2017 (CB)||Saturday, February 18||January 29||188€|
|April 2017||Saturday, April 8||February 26||188€|
|May 2017||Saturday, May 13||April 2||188€|
|May 2017 (CB)||Saturday, May 20||May 7||188€|
|May 2017 (S)||Saturday, May 27||April 16||188€|
|June 2017||Saturday, June 3||April 16||188€|
|June 2017 (S)||Saturday, June 10||April 30||188€|
|June 2017 (CB)||Saturday, June 10||May 21||188€|
|June 2017||Saturday, June 24||May 14||188€|
|July 2017||Thursday, July 27||June 18||188€|
|September 2017 (CB)||Friday, September 22||September 3||188€|
|October 2017||Saturday, October 7||September 3||188€|
|December 2017 (CB)||Saturday, December 2||October 22||188€|
|December 2017 (CB)||Saturday, December 2||November 19||188€|
|December 2017||Saturday, December 9||October 22||188€|
Dates of oral exams can be from up to two weeks before the written exams (see above) until the following day, including Saturdays.