Young Learner (YL) Extension to CELTA
The Cambridge English Young Learner (YL) Extension to CELTA course is a 60-hour extension course is especially designed for CELTA qualified teachers who wish to extend their skills to include those necessary for teaching English to young learners.
The course is based on teaching practice and lesson evaluation, and is overtly practical in content and approach.
The programme comprises 30 hours of seminars and workshops and 30 hours of teaching practice, teaching practice feedback and assisted lesson preparation.
Endorsement & certificates
The course is aimed at teachers with the Cambridge CELTA, with some post-CELTA teaching experience.
Eligible candidates receive an Endorsement to their CELTA awards from Cambridge and a Progress Report.
In order to receive the official Cambridge CELTYL Extension Certificate you must have passed CELTA prior to taking this course.
You can, however, take the course without having done CELTA (assuming that you are otherwise qualified for it) and will receive an IH certificate on passing it, but you will not be eligible for the Cambridge certificate.
The course programme is designed to enable candidates to:
- transfer and apply their awareness of language and knowledge of the description of English from an adult to a young learner context
- gain an initial understanding of the context within which young learners learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and learner
- transfer, adapt and apply the principles of effective teaching from an adult to a young learner context
- transfer, adapt and apply basic skills for teaching English in the classroom from an adult to a young learner context
- gain an initial awareness of appropriate resources and materials for use with young learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
- continue to identify opportunities for their future development as professionals in this field.
Candidates are assessed on a continuous basis, with particular emphasis on their ability to teach young learners, along with their written assignments and their professional development.
Full-time over 12 days. The course is very intensive [sample timetable] and requires a full-time commitment. Full attendance is very important.
It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the course.
- August 25th—September 9th, 2014
Total course fee (to be paid at least six weeks before the course begins): €1,045, including Cambridge registration fee.
We offer a special price of €940.50 if your CELTA course was taken at IH Barcelona.
Collecting references can take time and places are limited.
Apply early for this course!
All applicants must complete an application form and return it to International House Barcelona.
You will then be called for an interview. If you are long distance you may be interviewed by phone.
You will need to provide three referees.
To secure a place once you have been accepted you should ensure that the full fee is paid at least six weeks before the course begins.
Applicants applying less than six weeks before the course are required to pay the full fee on acceptance.
For payment details, please see separate page.
Refunds will not be given except in exceptional circumstances, and only then if notice is sufficient to allow for the finding of a substitute candidate.
- Young Learners by Sarah Phillips OUP 1993 ISBN: 0194371956
- Teaching Languages to Young Learners by Lynne Cameron CUP 2001 ISBN: 0521774349
- Teaching Children English: An Activity Based Training Course by David Vale CUP 1995 ISBN: 0521422353